A rich and decadently-flavoured dinner that takes just 30 minutes to prepare, including marinating time, this tempeh au poivre is best accompanied by roasted vegetables and potatoes, or steamed greens and French fries. It serves 2.
1 block tempeh (approx. 250g), halved
For the Marinade
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup water
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp onion granules
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dill
For the Sauce
1 1/2 cups soy (or other all-plant) milk (1/4 cup set aside)
2 heaped tsp suitable-for-vegan Dijon mustard
2 tbsp crushed peppercorns
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp cornflour
1. Steam the tempeh for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, make the marinade by mixing all the ingredients in a shallow bowl.
3. Place the tempeh into the marinade and turn to coat. Leave to marinate for 15 minutes while you make the sauce. Meanwhile, preheat a griddle pan or health grill to high, or a regular frying pan to medium.
4. Mix 1 1/4 cup soy milk, mustard, peppercorns, soy sauce, and balsamic vinegar. Bring to a simmer, whisking. Mix the cornflour into the remaining 1/4 cup soy milk. Add this paste to the sauce, whisking all the time. Allow to thicken, and turn off the heat while you cook the tempeh.
5. Fry the tempeh 3-5 minutes each side until golden and heated through. Serve with the sauce.