Oat-Stuffed Bell Peppers with Carrot Umami Sauce
It’s a vegan classic, the stuffed pepper. Here, we’ve served it with a sauce that’s so good that you’ll lick the serving spoon!
To make the sauce:
2 carrots, trimmed and sliced
1 potato, scrubbed and chopped
1 garlic clove
1/2-1 cup water
1 tbsp miso paste
salt, to taste
1. Add carrots and potato to a pan. Cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, simmer, and cook until fork-tender.
2. Drain and add to a blender with the rest of the ingredients. Season to taste.
To make the stuffed pepper:
1/2 red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup oats
2 tbsp hummus
1/2 cup Carrot Umami sauce
2 bell peppers, deseeded (if you’re following the plan, yours will each have a slice removed that we used for previous meals)
Small handful spinach
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Fry the onion until lightly caramelised. Add the garlic until just fragrant.
2. Mash the beans in a bowl. Add in the oats, onion and garlic, hummus, and carrot umami sauce. Season to taste.
3. Stuff the peppers with the oat mix, pressing in well with your hands.
4. Place the peppers on a silicone- or parchment-lined baking tray, and bake 25 minutes, or until the pepper has cooked.
Suitable-for-vegans tortilla chips
Serve the dish with a large handful of tortilla chips, more Carrot Umami sauce, and some of the salsa.