Sweetcorn and Chickpea Fritters
The best thing about these easy fritters is that you you can change the flavour profile easily by adding different combinations of spices. The recipe calls for a food processor, but you can easily make these with a masher instead. This recipe makes 8 fritters.
285g (drained weight) sweetcorn
240g (drained weight) cooked chickpeas
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
2 tbsp water
6 tbsp gram flour
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt (or more to taste)
1/4 tsp white pepper
1. Pulse (or mash) the sweetcorn and chickpeas until most are mashed but there are still some chunky bits.
2. Stir in the rest of the ingredients (the mix may be wetter than you imagine; trust me!).
3. Heat a frying pan over a medium-low heat and lightly brush with oil or spritz with spray oil.
4. Take 1/4 cup of the mixture and place it in the pan, pressing down to flatten. Repeat until you have four fritters in the pan. Cook 3 minutes, flip, and cook 3 minutes more.
5. Keep warm while you cook the rest of the fritters.
6. Serve with a sauce of your choice if desired.