Balancing the savoury marinade of the aubergine with the sweetness of the pear, this dish takes under 15 minutes, since it has all of the flavour of the marinating process without the time outlay. Serves 2.
For the Marinade
2 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
2 tbsp suitable-for-vegans BBQ sauce
2 tsp maple syrup
1 tsp onion granules
1 tsp smoked paprika
For everything else
1 aubergine/eggplant sliced into 1/8-1/4 inch slices
1 long sweet pointed pepper, sliced into strips
1 large handful greens (I used spinach and baby kale)
1/2 red onion, sliced
1 pear, sliced
1 suitable-for-vegans wholegrain demi baguette
1. Mix the marinade in a shallow bowl.
2. Heat a frying pan to medium low, and fill the bottom with a thin layer of water (or vegetable broth, if desired)–just enough to cover. Place the aubergine slices into the water and allow to soften–about 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat a health grill or a griddle pan to high. Chargrill the peppers until lightly blackened in spots and slightly softened. Remove when done, and transfer to a plate–they don’t need to be kept warm.
4. Transfer the aubergine slices to the marinade, toss, and then lift out with a slotted spoon, allowing the excess marinade to drip off. Add to the griddle pan and allow to cook enough to pick up some colour.
5. Halve the demi baguette. Fill with the vegetables, as desired, and enjoy.